I made a pot of potato soup a few days ago but my son didn't like it with the celery so I omit it this time around. Next time I think I am gonna add some shrimp or maybe kernel corn ;)
1 pound bacon
1 medium onion--chopped
4 cloves garlic--minced
2 tablespoon all purpose flour
8 russet potato--peeled and CUBED into little pieces
5 cups water
2 tablespoon chicken powder
3 cups HEAVY CREAM
shredded cheddar cheese
dice up bacon
In a sauce pan...cook up the bacon....once its cook...spoon it into a paper towel and KEEP the fat...saute your onion and garlic in the bacon fat... until they are translucent. Next add the 2 T all purpose flour--and stir to combine. Cook for about 2 minutes and slowly add the 5 cups of water and the 2 T of chicken powder ....then add in your potato. Cover the lid and cook for about 20 minutes on medium--remember to stir occasionally. Uncover and take a fork and smooch some potato to the side of the pot...making the soup nice and creamy. Next add in the 3 cup of heavy cream..continue to stir for about 5 minutes and turn off the stove.
Add more pepper and salt to taste...the bacon fat and the chicken powder/chicken broth is already salty so I didn't add ANY SALT at all.
If you are planning on reheating some...just add a little water or chicken broth and reheat..
Garnish with sliced green onion, shredded cheddar cheese and bacon bits..
Friday, November 8, 2013
Monday, November 4, 2013
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- 1 lb ground pork (makes 25 egg rolls)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 large chopped onion
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 4 sprigs of green onion-chopped
- ⅛ cup wood ear mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup bean thread noodle, cut into 1″-1.5″ threads
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Egg Roll Wrap Sealer
- 1 egg whites
- Soak bean threads in hot tap water and mushrooms in 40-second microwaved hot tap water until soft. About 30 minutes
- When soft, cut the bean thread noodles into little 2 in pieces and mushrooms.
- In a large BOWL...mix all the ingredients ..make sure its all incorporated
- In a fry pot--add your oil...the eggroll needs to be deep fry...once oil is hot..slowly add 1 eggroll at a time....
- Wrap the egg rolls and fry until golden brown and fully cooked inside. About 12-16 minutes per batch. Don't crowd the frying pot.
Served with dipping fish sauce or sweet chili sauce ;)
- 6 slices of bacon--roughly chopped
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves--minced
- 6-8 medium sized russet potatoes--peeled and diced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cup of heavy cream or 2 can of evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. parsley--garnish
- cheddar cheese, grated--garnish
- green onion, sliced--garnish
You can also used sour cream, monterey jack cheese, chopped chives as a garnish ;)
- Cut up bacon into 1" pieces. Saute over medium-low heat. In a large stockpot. Once bacon is crispy. Spoon out the bacon when almost crispy and set aside on a paper towel.
- Use the reserve bacon grease to saute the onion and garlic over medium-low heat until soft. While the onion is sautéing---then whisk in the flour and stir constantly over low heat until the flour is cooked and the mixture is thickened. Peel potatoes then dice into 1-2" cubes. Add the potatoes and the chicken stock. Over medium heat bring soup to simmer and cook for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes area soft. Mash some of the potatoes to the side of the pot for a thicker creamier texture. Add the heavy cream or evaporate milk...reduce heat to a simmer/low
- Adjust the thickness by adding water or more stock.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top soup with grated cheese, bacon & green onions.