- 6 slices of bacon--roughly chopped
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves--minced
- 6-8 medium sized russet potatoes--peeled and diced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cup of heavy cream or 2 can of evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. parsley--garnish
- cheddar cheese, grated--garnish
- green onion, sliced--garnish
You can also used sour cream, monterey jack cheese, chopped chives as a garnish ;)
- Cut up bacon into 1" pieces. Saute over medium-low heat. In a large stockpot. Once bacon is crispy. Spoon out the bacon when almost crispy and set aside on a paper towel.
- Use the reserve bacon grease to saute the onion and garlic over medium-low heat until soft. While the onion is sautéing---then whisk in the flour and stir constantly over low heat until the flour is cooked and the mixture is thickened. Peel potatoes then dice into 1-2" cubes. Add the potatoes and the chicken stock. Over medium heat bring soup to simmer and cook for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes area soft. Mash some of the potatoes to the side of the pot for a thicker creamier texture. Add the heavy cream or evaporate milk...reduce heat to a simmer/low
- Adjust the thickness by adding water or more stock.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top soup with grated cheese, bacon & green onions.