Monday, October 7, 2013

Red Beans and Rice

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound kidney beans, soaked overnight in enough water that it covered the beans 
  • 1 pack Lipton onion mix
  • 1 pack of pickle pork (remember to rinse really well because its very salty) 
  • 1 pack of bacon----sliced into 2 in pieces 
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 5 stalks celery, diced
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley--or 1 teaspoon dried parsley 
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder 
  • 1 stick butter 
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 1 pack of sausage (andouille sausage) 

I usually like to cook my sausage separately then add to the beans after. You can cut the sausage into little pieces or big chunks. 


Instructions:
  1. Drain the beans from their soaking water and rinse.
  2. Put into a large pot with water (enough to cover everything) , lipton onion mix package, bacon, salted pork, garlic powder, onion, celery,bell pepper, garlic, thyme and bay leaves, paprika. Cover pot.
  3. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 4 hours or until beans are soft.
  4. Remember to stir occasionally 
  5. Use a large spoon to mash some of the beans against the side of the pot to make a creamy gravy. Taste to see if you need any more seasoning..this is the time to either add more salt or seasoning---I usually add a few dash of hot sauce...this is also when I would add my sausage...I usually cook up my sausage first then I would add the sliced pieces into the beans...
  6. I would also add the stick of butter right before I turned off the stove. 
***Serve over rice.

You can also add butter to your white rice 

If I have time....I usually like to cook up my celery, onion, minced garlic and bell pepper with a little olive oil then add the pickle pork, bacon, and cubed ham. Cook until nice and fragrant then I add the beans and all the seasoning then pour enough water to cover everything...cover lid and cook for the next 4 hours on low-simmer.
****Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and onion 


Serve with cornbread (recipe also on this blog) 







Beans soaking overnight 






Sausage cut into little pieces ...cook separately then add after ...I also cut up a few larger pieces...and add when I am plating up the beans and rice. 






ENJOY!!!! 





No comments: